Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I'm Engaged!

As I write this post, I still have to pinch myself that this weekend actually occurred. It doesn't seem possible that I am actually engaged!


On Sunday, Mike and I had brunch reservations at the Kennedy Center. I won't lie. I thought that something was up and I was pretty sure that it was the day he would propose. But, I did not let that on to him because I didn't want him to feel pressured to change his plans. Being proposed to at the KC is like the perfect thing for me. I LOVE the Kennedy Center. Seriously, if I could have a relationship with a building - that would be it.

He was pretty nervous all morning which is kind of cute in retrospect. He had told me earlier in the week that he was going to give me my birthday present early because he wanted to do it over brunch. I thought this was weird but just went with it. It did throw me a little because I knew the ring was not my present so I thought maybe my suspicions about the proposal were wrong.

After we were seated, he gave me my present. It's a beautiful pair of small diamond stud earrings. I've always wanted a pair like this. Small enough to be casual to wear with jeans and such. I was thrilled. Then he gave me this card that was just adorable and talked about how glad he was that we were together. Then he said that since I already had the earrings, I might want something to match them. He pulled out the ring and proposed. It was very special.

I have no memory of eating at the brunch. I was in a state of shock - staring at my hand and alternating between thinking "did this really just happen?" and "holy crap I'm engaged!"

After brunch, we wandered outside for a bit and then drove down to Woodbridge to visit Mike's parents. His mom is having surgery so we wanted her to see the ring before she went into the hospital.

His parents were really happy and so was his brother. His brother was giving him crap about not getting down on one knee. I was totally ok with the no one knee thing because if he had done that in the middle of the restaurant, I would have died. I'm not big on public displays.

But it was adorable because when we got back to my apartment, Mike took off the ring, got down on one knee, and proposed again. It was so sweet and special.

So I got to say yes twice.

And now I'm engaged. CRAZY. The questions are all staring so eventually we'll have to start thinking about the when, where, what, etc. But for now, I'm just going to enjoy being engaged.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations (again and still)! The ring is really beautiful, can't wait to see it in person.

    On a weird note, did you know there is a documentary about people who have real relationship with structures and buildings? Some guy brought lunch and cuddled with a local landmark bridge. Very unusual. So, you can totally have a relationship with the Kennedy Center, but Mike may have some issue with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Jackie! Your ring is beautiful! It's similar to mine but yours is round and mine is more square but I love that style! Sounds like he did a great job with the proposal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you :) The ring is goooorgeous! I can't wait to see it in person. What a sweet proposal, I'm getting all teary reading it!!

    ReplyDelete