Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay

This past week, I read the book Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay. It was an impulse purchase. I saw it in the bookstore and was intrigued. Since I was on vacation early last week, I decided to treat myself. Usually, I do not like to like to purchase hardcover books by authors I do not know. It's just too expensive. But, I made an exception in this case.

And, I'm really glad I did.

It was an excellent book. It moved back and forth between present day Boston and post-WWII Moscow with ease. It also fluctuated between the point of view of a Russian ballerina (in her youth in Moscow and old age in Boston) and a Russian-born Boston professor in present day. The desire to learn the link between the two kept the story moving. I figured out part of it early on but there were a few twists that kept me guessing. I liked that because it kept the book moving.


It's been a long time since I've read a book that I did not want to put down. I was always frustrated to arrive at work because I wanted to keep reading on the metro!

I hope the next book I read is just as good. . .













1 comment:

  1. I read a series of good, solid books lately so it's been difficult picking up another (2 Jennifer Ashley books and a Susan Gable book). So, after forever on the shelf, I picked up Water for Elephants and I had trouble putting it down after I finished my lunch. It's fun reading a book that's excellent!

    ReplyDelete