Sunday, October 11, 2009

How to Tell If He Is a Keeper

It was brought to my attention that I missed one of the signs when I posted this article on 9/28. Whoops. Below is the revised post complete with all 9 signs. #7 is the new one. :)

I found this article on yahoo called "9 signs a guy is a keeper." Of course I had to read it! I found it really interesting because sure enough guys that I have dated that failed in these categories were certainly not keepers and vice versa.

Here's the list and my color commentary.

  1. He has his act together - THIS IS SO TRUE!!!! There is nothing worse than dating someone who has no direction or ambition. Plus guys who have not grown up enough to take on responsibility are never going to make for a worthwhile partner.
  2. He puts you first - I think this is true to a point. It's great to know that a guy is considering you when he makes decisions, but occasionally you do need to put yourself first. That goes for both members of the relationship. It's give and take.
  3. He's not afraid of your germs - very true. Nothing worse than having someone avoid you when you are sick and already feel awful. That's when you need someone to show up with orange juice and chicken soup.
  4. He's a family man - This is very important to me as my family is extremely important in my life. Interest in my family garners major bonus points. Plus, you can definitely tell someone's character by how they treat their own family.
  5. He makes time for your friends - If the boyfriend and friends are a bad mix - the relationship is in trouble. Enough said.
  6. He's your biggest cheerleader - I agree with this one a lot. It is important that you feel your partner is happy when you are successful. There is nothing worse than being afraid to tell someone that something good happened because you are afraid of his jealousy.
  7. He remembers the little things. - I have to admit that it is nice when someone remembers small stuff like what you have planned for the week, what kind of wine you like, your favorite song, or where you last went on vacation. Stuff like that shows that he pays attention when you talk. That's nice.
  8. He's happy when you are happy - In general, I think this refers to compromise. The guy should be willing to do something that he does not want to do just because the girl wants to. And vice versa.
  9. He makes you the best you can be - This is very important. The guy should help build you up not knock you down. When you are with him, you should feel confident and happy not insecure and miserable.
I definitely think that these apply to women as well. As much as it would be nice if everything revolved around the girl (i.e. me), that's not going to make for a successful relationship. It has to be a two way street!

No comments:

Post a Comment