Thursday, October 29, 2009

Sinead's Hand

I do not get political too often, but certain topics get me riled up. One of them is definitely gay marriage. I do not understand why people feel that it is their right to deny a legal union to someone else. Who are you to pass judgment on them?

I don't even understand how it is illegal. Marriage is a union between two people. What does it matter what sex they are? As long as both people are willing and able, it's their choice to make. It's a personal decision that should not even need to be voted on by a government.

Below is an Irish commercial that conveys this sentiment perfectly. A man goes from house to house asking for his partner's hand in marriage. Because sadly it is up to the people - who vote in the legislators - to decide if this man is allowed to get married. That's just insane.

It's a powerful message. I think that they should make an American version of it. Maybe it will bring the point home for those who disapprove.


All I have to say is that I will be terribly disappointed in the USA if Ireland legalizes gay marriage before us.

1 comment:

  1. Um, nope, an American commercial wouldn't make a difference. I'm sure there'd be protests before it could even AIR. *sigh* It's too early to get on my soapbox, but I agree and it makes me angry.

    ReplyDelete