Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Decisions Decisions

Over the past few weeks, I've had a lot of conversations about relationships. I've had conversations with friends, family, co-workers, and even clients! These conversations have really got me thinking about how I make decisions and what I really want out of life.

I always knew that no matter how much advice you give someone, they are always going to do what they want to do in the end. If your advice follows their path - great for you. If not, then you may lose a friend in the long run. I don't believe in losing friends over disagreements. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I just need to accept that. The harder lesson for me to learn is that if everyone is telling me to do one thing and I really want to do the opposite - that's ok as it is my life. That's a lesson that I had to learn the hard way once before, but I seem to be learning it again now.

I also think that decisions are harder to make when you are battling not only the opinions of your friends and family but also your own reason. I hate having internal battles. When my head says one thing and my heart and instinct say another. Usually I go with my gut instinct as I can tend to over think things. However it's hard to know that if I follow my instinct and things get screwed up, I only have myself to blame because I KNEW what I was getting into. It's much easier to face bad experiences when you can blame someone else or claim ignorance. Much harder when you have to own up to making a consciously bad decision.

Ok, this definitely means that said decision is a bad one. What if it is the right decision and you do not make it because of fear? I would hate to think that I would make a safe decision and then miss out on something great. That's always an internal struggle with me. I was raised to be responsible and practical, but sometimes I wonder if I am missing out on great things in life because of this attitude. What if I am supposed to throw caution to the wind and take the leap? What if instead of falling into an abyss, I find something wonderful?

It's such a risk to take, but maybe it's time to stop playing it safe.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with April. The always-play-it-safe attitude will do nothing for you but keep you "safe," and that's not usually a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete