Sunday, July 12, 2009

Why I Love The Way We Were


The Way We Were has to be one of the best movies ever made. Barbara Streisand and Robert Redford falling in love and then realizing that their love cannot survive because of outside factors. It's just the greatest. I could watch Barbara Streisand brush the hair off of Robert Redford's forehead over and over again. I mean it's such an iconic moment that they wrote and entire Sex and the City episode about it!

However, there are many reasons why I feel that I should not worship this movie like I do. For instance, Robert Redford's character Hubbell (whom I adore) is a total ass in this movie. His character is so weak that he cannot handle the strength of Barbara Streisand's Katie. She is too strong for him and makes him realize his own weakness. He also decides that instead of working things out with his wife - he's just going to have an affair with his old girlfriend. I HATE when people take the easy way out of relationships. So not cool. Especially when your wife is pregnant with your daughter - whom you abandon because you cannot handle seeing her mother anymore. So pathetic but yet I still love him.

And why I still love him is because Katie is flawed too. She pushes him to be something that he is not, never was, and never wants to be. She knows this about him and she doesn't care. She just continues to push because that is her nature. In the end, she ends up hurt partly because I think that she realizes that she had a strong hand in the entire situation.

It does not matter how many times I see this movie. I always want the ending to be different and for these two characters to realize that they can work things out and stay together. It's like watching Romeo and Juliet - I always want that ending to be different too but it's never going to happen. So I continue to watch The Way We Were time and again always sad at the end but always blissfully happy to have spent 2 hours with these characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment