Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Do Clothes Have Feelings?


Recently a friend of mine blogged about clothes carrying mental baggage. I totally get that because I am the same way. I will remember when I wore something and if something bad happens while I am wearing that article of clothing, then it will be tarnished forever.

For example, I can usually remember exactly what I wore during a first date. If the date goes well, then that outfit gets a big thumbs up. If the date does not go so well, then the piece of clothing is toast. This recently happened to me, and as a result, a former favorite top became an inhabitant of the "go to Goodwill" bag. Why would I want to continue wearing something that now makes me feel ugly? I cannot dissociate my feeling toward the event from my feelings toward the clothes. They become irreversibly interconnected in my mind.

In another example, I remember exactly what I wore to my grandmother's funeral. It was a very nice outfit, but now I consider it a "funeral outfit." Whenever I wear that outfit or even a piece of it (like the shoes) I remember the funeral and then I feel sad.

The reverse also works. If I have a meeting and the meeting goes really well, then whatever outfit I wore instantly becomes a confidence booster. I'll wear it to my next meeting and feel better about that meeting's prospects.

Likewise, if I have a really great time doing something, then that outfit will become a favorite. When I wear it, I'll feel happy and pretty. What woman does not want to feel like both of those things? This recently happened with my new purple dress from Banana Republic (the attached picture is the dress in white). That dress is now one of my favorite pieces of clothing.

I realize that I probably should not let outside events or the opinions of others dictate how I feel about my clothes. But, I've always been a sensitive person and that definitely plays into my associative memory. I tend to attach memories and feelings to most things - not just clothes. It's both a blessing and a curse. In my experience, men do not have this same type of associative memory. How did many women and particularly me become so blessed?

3 comments:

  1. OMG, I totally had a funeral skirt. In high school, I had a skirt that I wore for the first day of school and then the next like 4 times were to funerals. So, it was my funeral skirt. Sometimes, the law of averages work. If there is something I love, I'll just wear it a lot and it overcomes the stigma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you're blogging during business hours. Does your company have a blog policy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually did this after work. For some reason my blog is set to Pacific time so all of my post times are 3 hours behind when I actually posted them. I cannot figure out how to change that. . .

    ReplyDelete