Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Random Coincidences

I find it very interesting when you have never heard of something and then once you hear about it, it seems like you hear about it ALL THE TIME. Is it random coincidence or fate?

This has happened to me recently on two occasions.

The first involves Emerald Isle, NC. I had never heard of this place until about 2 months ago. This isn't greatly surprising as I know nothing about North Carolina except what I've learned from Nicholas Sparks novels. And it also probably has something to do with the fact that I do not really "do" the South. I am a Yankee through and through. I have issues with the fact that I now live below the Mason/Dixon line. The slow southern lifestyle just drives me nuts. Plus once you get into southern Virginia and further south everyone is just so fake nice. I know it's not sincere. No one is that genuinely happy and polite all the time.

Anyway, my discomfort with the South in general aside, it now seems like everyone I know is going to Emerald Isle, NC. Why I do not know. It really does not look like a very exciting place. However, I have a friend there right now and another headed down in a week.

The other thing that keeps coming up lately is the Serenity Prayer. My friend Lori has been telling me for years to embrace this prayer and to "own it." When she first told me about it, I had no idea what it was. Recently, I have come across it on a bookmark, during a TV show, and on a card.

And then I went to Confession and the priest actually gave me a copy of it. It's not even a Catholic prayer! I won't go into what I confessed because that is between me and God, but suffice to say, it was not that exciting. I did not even get a penance. But, the priest did think that I was stressed out and told me to embrace the Serenity Prayer. For a control freak like me, this is a difficult task to do, but I'll keep trying!

God grant me the Serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

Anyway, I wonder what random thing will start popping up now. . .I'm starting to feel stalked by fate.

2 comments:

  1. Rob loves the Serenity Prayer. He has it on a plague in the bedroom. It always makes me think of Seinfeld when one of the characters kept saying, "Serenity NOW!" which is what I say often.

    My little tidbit is "city on a hill". I've been reading Sarah Vowell's book in which she mentions the original mention and sermon. Then, I found out it's in a lot of political speeches and it was mentioned on Mad Men last weekend. I wonder how many times I've just ignored it because I never heard of its original meaning before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought for sure you were going to say you hear a lot about Stuart Smalley now. :-)

    ReplyDelete