Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Long Live Mozart!

Yesterday, I read this article that said that Mozart might have actually died from strep throat. So sad to lose a great musical genius to such a common disease. Oh well, I guess that's what happened in a time without antibiotics.

But this article got me thinking about classical music. I LOVE classical music. It must come from years and years of playing classical violin music.

Usually I prefer Russian composers to German composers. I really like the music of the ballet, and Russians were kings of the ballet. However, I have great respect for the German composers too. Frankly some of the hardest music I have ever played was written by Mozart and Bach.

Below is a clip of one of my favorite Mozart pieces. Now I could try and be all cool and edgy and pick one of his lesser known works but why bother. I really love Serenade in G major, K. 525 Eine kleine Nachtmusik aka A Little Night Music - one of his most famous pieces of music. It has all of the great features of Mozart's compositions. It sounds very pretty and simple, but it's ridiculously hard to play (trust me I've suffered through many an orchestra rehearsal trying to keep up!).

I cannot help but wonder what great music we would have had if it had not been for that darn strep throat. After all, Mozart was only 35 when he died! All of that untapped potential. Who knows if he had even hit his peak!

No comments:

Post a Comment