Monday, September 7, 2009

Wedding Weekend




This past weekend, I was maid of honor in my friend's wedding. It was a busy weekend - rehearsal on Friday, wedding on Saturday, and post-wedding barbecue on Sunday. The wedding was great. The bride looked beautiful, the groom handsome, and everything went according to plan.

But, it would not be a wedding if there were not a few quirky stories.

  • Apparently there was a Civil War battle near the wedding location. And the wedding day happened to be the day of the battle's reenactment. Throughout the entire wedding, we heard gun shots and cannon fire.
  • Bride's father's comment to the gunfire - "I thought this wasn't supposed to be a shotgun wedding."
  • Bride's father is a history teacher. He decided to tell the bride's brother and I all about the battle in question (neither of us had ever heard of it). However, bride's brother decides to escape partway through the conversation leaving me to listen to the rest of the lecture alone. Thanks Ben. Chivalry is truly dead.
  • My friend started to breakout in hives from nerves. She did not feel nervous but the hives kept showing up. Poor bride was popping benedryl all day long. But that's one way to make sure that you do not get drunk at your wedding (cannot drink with benedryl - bad combo).
  • The Groom and Groomsmen bought rockin' gigantic black sneakers with white shoelaces to wear with their tuxes. The bride did not see these until it was picture time. Surprise!
  • I really really thought that I had met the make-up artist before. She looked so familiar. Then I realized that she was just a dead ringer for Hayden Panettiere from Heroes.
  • I was not feeling well - massive stomach pains - and was carrying around baking soda to mix with water to help me feel better. But sometime during the night, I realized that carrying around a little bag of white powder kind of made me look like a cocaine addict.
  • The groom's nieces and nephews were adorable. But, they had to be bribed to stand still for pictures. For every picture that they took, they got an M&M.
  • I snagged my dress just seconds before we were going to take pictures. Gotta love my luck.
  • Bride and Groom's car was truly decked out for the getaway including being completely covered in ceran wrap.
  • A couple of the married guys told the groom that he now needs the "shit you need to know when you are married handbook."
This is a picture that the bride's brother took. I think it's pretty funny. Definitely does not surprise me that Gregg would ham it up and steal Steff's flowers.

To the happy couple - L'Chaim!

No comments:

Post a Comment