Thursday, September 17, 2009

What Does Your Home Say About You?

A friend and I were having an interesting conversation about what your home says about you. Many people - myself included - feel that their home reflects a lot about them. If you look closely, it can be a peek into one's soul.

The question becomes - how closely do people look? I tend to be observant about these things and pick up on the vibe of a place. I notice the presence or absence of photos. The choice of wall color. The selection of art on the walls. Does the person have knickknacks? If so then in my opinion, they are probably sentimental and attribute memories to each item.

The other question is who do you allow to have this glimpse into your personality? I really hate when people come to my home and then start judging my stuff? "Oh that painting is . . . interesting." "I'm guessing that yellow is your favorite color."

On the other hand when someone is like "that's a really cool painting" or "I love this book too!" It makes me feel closer to them. I suppose it's a double-edged sword.

I asked my friend what she thinks my place says about me and this is what she said, "I think your apartment says you like yellow, Broadway, books, and movies that you are an organized and friendly person and very bright and warm."

I am not sure I would have used these same words to describe my apartment - although they are very flattering. Maybe each person who visits has a different perception.

If that's the case, it will be interesting to see what others think! I hope it's all good stuff. . .

2 comments:

  1. I always think my home says we have no money for new stuff and no room to store things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does not! Your home says that you are a family oriented couple (i.e. family photos, precious moments knickknacks). That you love to read. And that you have the most adorable daughter ever.

    ReplyDelete