Friday, September 11, 2009

Where's the Love for Springsteen?

So I took an informal poll yesterday and was SHOCKED to find out that no one really likes Bruce Springsteen. How is this possible? He's basically an American institution. His songs are so much a part of pop culture that I actually studied them in one of my college classes.

Anyway, I love you Bruce. I may not be able to recite all of your songs but I will totally rock out in my car to Born to Run, Dancing in the Dark, Hungry Heart, or Radio Nowhere.

Springsteen is actually one of the five people chosen this year to receive the Kennedy Center Honors. That is so cool. I wonder if they will get Bon Jovi to be one of the tribute performers. That would make my day.

On a more serious note, sadly today is the anniversary of the September 11th attacks. It's hard to believe that they occurred 8 years ago. In many ways, it seems like yesterday. In memory of those attacks, Springsteen wrote The Rising. It's a good song but not my favorite. However, it seemed approproiate to post in honor of the day.



2 comments:

  1. I like Springsteen, but I don't know much of his music and I don't know any of his lyrics accurately. I make them up. Rob is a huge fan. Maybe it's more a Jersey thing. :)

    I did think of 9/11 this morning. As I was walking to work from the bus stop in the pouring rain, I remembered what a lovely day 9/11 was before the world changed forever. The one thing I do like about this day is all the flags come out. The big flags that drape buildings come out and people seem to fly theirs a little stronger except today when the flags are half-staff and wet and dreary, but yesterday, they were a great sight on N. Fairfax Dr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with April that I like all the flags being out. If we can take anything positive from 9/11/01 it is patriotism. That's part of what I said when I texted my nephew yesterday - I thanked him for his 16 months in Afghanistan and told him I love my country every day, and particularly today.

    About Bruce, I enjoy his music, but I am not a die hard fan. There are Jersey folks who LOVE Bruce and think he's god. I think he's cool and an incredible songwriter, and because he shares a birthday with Isabella I like him more.

    Two of my favorite songs of his are My City of Ruins and Streets of Philadelphia. I get the chills every time I hear My City of Ruins because it reminds me so much of the feelings I had on 9/12/09.

    Come on rise up! Come on rise up! Rise up!

    ReplyDelete